The Vancouver Just For Laughs Film Festival and American High invite comedy filmmakers to pitch their ideas to executives from production studio, American High. Influenced by movies like Ferris Bueller, Sixteen Candles and The Breakfast Club, Jeremy Garelick BOUGHT a school with the aim to make more movies like the ones that inspired him as a teen. In its first year, his company has already shot five indie comedies in his newly acquired school-turned-studio in Syracuse, NY.
This is your chance to pitch your funniest film concept to the seasoned American High team, composed of Jeremy Garelick (writer, director, producer), Will Phelps (producer), and Michael Schade (producer), and get valuable feedback on your project and presentation.
Submit your original screenplay idea (one-pager) in any genre of comedy film – from rom-coms to dramedies. Animated projects are also eligible.
A maximum of five (5) projects will be selected and presented to the panel of American High executives in an open-forum pitch session. Accepted applicants will be given five (5) minutes to present their work and gain unparalleled access to top film professionals. You may include a short sizzle reel or PPT slide show in your five minute allotted time frame.
• Signed waiver, which can be found HERE. PLEASE NOTE: No materials will be reviewed unless this agreement is signed and returned with your submission. If we receive a submission without the aforementioned agreement, it will be automatically rejected.
• One-pager highlighting your original comedy film idea. This should include a plot summary, main characters, themes, etc. Be creative – presentation is key! Please submit this document in PDF format.
• A short bio highlighting past work or experience, (include relevant websites or IMDB links if applicable)
• A headshot / photo
You will find the submission agreement HERE. Please print, review, sign, and send it to us with your one-pager, bio and headshot/photo. Please send all these documents to email@example.com, and clearly label your email with the name of your submission. PLEASE NOTE: No materials will be reviewed unless this agreement is signed and returned with your submission. If we receive a submission without the aforementioned agreement, it will be automatically rejected.
The deadline to submit to the pitch program has ended for this year! You can come check out the selected pitches on Saturday, February 16th at 12:00pm PST. Additional details can be found HERE.
In addition, please note the following for all submissions:
• The Comedy Pitch Showcase presented by American High is open to all applicants in North America, however, please note that should your film be chosen as a finalist, you will be required to participate in the live pitch showcase on Saturday, February 16th at 12:00pm (noon) in Vancouver, British Columbia. Any travel cost would be at your own expense.
Note: Finalists will be notified approximately one (1) week prior to the scheduled live pitch, so be prepared to create a 5-minute pitch presentation should your project be chosen.
• All submissions must be in English.
• Submitted materials will not be returned.
• Submitted one-pager must be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org with the completed submissions agreement which can be found HERE. PLEASE NOTE: No materials will be reviewed unless this agreement is signed and returned with your submission. If we receive a submission without the aforementioned agreement, it will be automatically rejected.
• All applicants will be contacted via email so please ensure that you provide a working email address.
• You can submit more than one project, however, you must fill out a submissions agreement form for each project submitted.
• You may submit as a team.
• All submissions are reviewed by select members of the Vancouver Just For Laughs Film Festival and American High teams, and final selections are at the complete discretion of this committee.
The deadline to submit to the pitch program has ended for this year!
You can come check out the selected pitches on Saturday, February 16th at 12:00pm PST. Additional details can be found HERE.
The winner of The Comedy Pitch Showcase presented by American High will have the chance to have their idea optioned and developed by American High! In addition, we’re offering a $1,000 CAD prize, and best of all, your name will be immortalized on the American High school forever, as you’ll have one of their bathrooms named after you! That’s right – the next time you see a movie produced by American High, you may see your name on the big screen!
JEREMY GARELICK – Founder, Writer, Director, Producer
Through impactful storytelling, creative integrity and commercial appeal, Jeremy Garelick has become an industry leader, creating some of the most successful comedies ever.
Jeremy started in the mailroom at the Creative Artists Agency, before going on to work as assistant to legendary writer/director, Joel Schumacher on Tigerland, Bad Company, Phone Booth, and Veronica Guerin.
Jeremy made his feature screenplay debut with the Vince Vaughn vehicle The Break-Up and followed that by teaming up with Todd Phillips to pen the production draft of The Hangover, establishing himself as the go-to A-list comedy writer in Hollywood. In 2015 Jeremy directed his first feature film, The Wedding Ringer starring Kevin Hart and Josh Gad.
The last year has been a busy one for Jeremy. Between writing, directing, and show running his Netflix original limited series, Best. Worst. Weekend. Ever., and executive producing his YouTube Red original, Side Swiped, Jeremy also formed his own production company, American High. Staked with a $45 million film fund, American High has shot five indie comedies in Garelick’s recently acquired school-turned-studio in Syracuse, NY, including Big Time Adolescence, starring Pete Davidson, Jon Cryer, and Sydney Sweeney, which was recently invited to compete in dramatic competition at the 2019 Sundance Film Festival.
The company plans to shoot five more indie films in 2019. In addition, Jeremy will direct and produce a slate of three higher budget high school comedy features, also through his production company, American High. The projects will be shot simultaneously in Syracuse, New York, starting in the summer of 2019.
WILL PHELPS – Producer
Will Phelps graduated from Chapman University with a B.A. in film production and shortly thereafter began his career at Paradigm Talent Agency, working in the physical production department. In early 2014, he joined Jeremy Garelick, working as his assistant for several projects before being promoted to creative executive. In 2017, American High was launched with Phelps tapped to produce their first five films. In 2018, Phelps participated in JFL’s staged reading series, featuring a television pilot he co-wrote.
MICHAEL SCHADE – Producer
Michael Schade studied at Boston University, where he received a B.S. in Film and Television Production in 2014. Following college, Michael worked for several years as a political campaign and non-profit consultant before moving to Los Angeles to work with Jeremy Garelick and his newly formed production company, American High. After serving as Jeremy’s assistant on several projects, Michael began working as a co-producer on American High’s films, including Big Time Adolescence, which recently premiered in Sundance Film Festival’s 2019 US Dramatic Competition.